Friday, January 13, 2012

Dwarf left in wheelchair after being thrown and injured by …

Dwarf left in wheelchair after being thrown and injured by …

Dwarf left disabled after he was picked up and thrown to the ground blames England rugby team's World Cup antics for copycat attack

A dwarf who is facing life in a wheelchair after being picked up and thrown to the ground has blamed England’s rugby team for giving his attacker the idea.

Martin Henderson suffered injuries to his back and legs after being dropped on to the hard ground as he had a cigarette outside a pub in Wincanton, Somerset.

The life-changing attack on the 37-year-old came shortly after the England players visited a 'dwarf-tossing' competition at the World Cup in New Zealand.

The stars, including Zara Phillips’s husband Mike Tindall, were disciplined for attending the event, as well as for other acts of bad behaviour on the tour.
Mr Henderson believes that the violence that has put an end to his promising acting career could have been inspired by the news story about the players’ night out in September.

'The England players had been in trouble for going to a dwarf tossing event and this might have given this guy the idea,' he said.

The rugby stars were seen downing shots as they partied in a Queenstown bar called Altitude, which was hosting a 'Mad Midget Weekend'.

This was also the night that Tindall, newly married into the Royal Family, was captured on CCTV kissing ex-girlfriend Jessica Palmer.

The night out followed a disastrous opening match for the England team, setting the tone for their appalling performance on and off the field during the tournament.

Mr Henderson, who suffers from achondroplasia dwarfism and spinal stenosis, said his legs went numb after the callous attack. Dwarf Paralyzed Martin Henderson Rugby

He said: 'I had surgery on my back in 2010 and was making really good progress and my surgeon was really happy with me.


'But then this happened and it’s kicked it all off again. I keep falling over and I found out today that I have fractured my arm.

'Every time I stand up I don’t know if I’m going to fall over. I will have to use a wheelchair and I won’t get any acting jobs.

'I just hope they catch him. I don’t usually have any trouble and I know that I have never upset anyone in Wincanton.'


Mr Henderson has made an allegation of assault and police have launched an investigation and issued a description of the offender.

The attack on the 4ft 2ins man from Milborne Port, near Yeovil, happened outside Wincanton's White Horse pub.

Mr Henderson has appeared on TV’s Bigger Breakfast and as one of the seven dwarfs in the pantomime Snow White.

He also appeared alongside famous dwarf actor Warwick Davis in the TV mini-series 10th Kingdom - an adventure programme featuring Snow White, Cinderella, and Little Red Riding Hood.

Now he fears he will not be hired for any more acting jobs. 'We were having a good night out to celebrate my birthday and there were a few of us drinking together in a corner of the pub,' he said.

'I went outside for a cigarette and the next thing I know I’m suddenly in the air and someone has got hold of me. I was then dropped on to my back on to the hard floor.

'From what I remember, there was only one person involved but it was very scary as I didn’t know what was going on.

'I guess I was an easy target and the only reason I was picked on was because I am small.

'People’s attitudes to me when I go out can be pretty cruel. Most are OK but you get the odd idiot who will make fun and start laughing at me.

'You just have to ignore it but this is the first time I have been picked up and thrown about.'

Mr Henderson described the attacker as being white, about 5ft 8ins tall and of a slim build with dark hair and a hooded top.

A police spokesperson said: 'Officers investigating would like to speak to anyone who may have been in the pub on the night of October 7.

'It follows an incident in which a small person was picked up by an unknown person in the bar and dropped.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085719/Dwarf-disabled-thrown-blames-England-Rugby-teams-antics-copycat-attack.html#ixzz1jLeb08mY